Beware of the Byte Order MarkEncourage Creativity

System.Net.Mail How To

May 27th, 2007

You've Got System.Net.Mail!VS 2005 / Framework 2.0 adds a new way to email, the System.Net.Mail Namespace that uses SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to deliver messages. In this article, I’ll provide a simple example of how to use it and go over a couple of quirks that people get hung up on.

The MailMessage and SmtpClient classes are the heart of this new Namespace and sending an email is really just a matter of a couple of lines.

Dim EmailServer As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient(EmailServerName)
EmailServer.SendAsync(TestEmail, Me)

The code above makes a couple of assumptions. First, that the variables for the call have been filled with correct information and, second, that the target SMTP server uses Windows authentication. Also note that the MailMessage class implements the IDisposible interface so you might think it’s a candidate for the Using block as I mentioned in a previous article. However, since it is called async, the Using block would dispose of it prematurely so this is an exception to the rule where you should not use Using.

In addition to the basics of From, To, Subject, Body, you can use properties of the MailMessage to add attachments, set the CC and BCC, select the encoding method for the body, and do a few other things. For example, if you wanted to add a CC to the message above the code would look like this:

Dim TestEmail As New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage(EmailFrom, EmailTo, EmailSubject, EmailBody)
TestEmail.CC = EmailCC
Dim EmailServer As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient(EmailServerName)
EmailServer.SendAsync(TestEmail, Me)

If you wanted to add an attachment to the email, the code would look like this:

TestEmail.CC = EmailCC
TestEmail.Attachments.Add(New System.Net.Mail.Attachment(EmailAttachmentFileName))
Dim EmailServer As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient(EmailServerName)
EmailServer.SendAsync(TestEmail, Me)

There are several overloads available for creating attachments so you may want to consult MSDN help if you need more advanced options.

In the demo program, I keep it simple without CC’s or attachments although I do add in a callback for the async operation. Using the callback allows you to verify that the email was sent or not sent without tying up your program waiting for a response.

What if you need to authenticate onto a remote SMTP server where you don’t have Windows authentication available? In this case, you’ll need to create credentials, like so:

TestEmail.CC = EmailCC
Dim EmailServer As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient(EmailServerName)
EmailServer.Credentials = New System.Net.NetworkCredential("emailaccount@remoteserver.com", "mypassword", "mail.remoteserver.com")
EmailServer.SendAsync(TestEmail, Me)

In most cases you will need to provide the domain name on the email account ID and you’ll need to confirm that the mail subdomain is correct and allows this kind of login. Your password is sent as clear text basic authentication in this scenario so be careful! You can use other options to provide a more secure connection if your SMTP server supports them.

Now for a couple of quirks with System.Net.Mail.

First, if you’ve used other and earlier mail engines you may have gotten used to separating multiple TO email addresses with a semi-colon, like so:

EmailTo = "mrblah@mydomain.com; msblank@mydomain.com"

However, in this case a formatting exception will be thrown. Yes, it surprised me too the first time this happened. The correct delimiter to use with System.Net.Mail is a comma, like so:

EmailTo = "mrblah@mydomain.com, msblank@mydomain.com"

My other quirk that you might encounter is that the low level code that System.Net.Mail uses might get mistaken for a mass emailing virus by some versions of anti-virus software. While these anti-virus block System.Net.Mail email they will allow email by older CDO and System.Web.Mail methods to function normally. If you encounter this problem, the solution is the consult with the anti-virus company to see if they have an update available or you might want to risk disabling this part of the anti-virus protection, depending on your circumstances. As a last resort, you can fall back to the older methods that should work OK.

» Click here to download VB.NET source code for this article.

Share This Article: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • DotNetKicks
  • DZone

Entry Filed under: Code Examples

Rate This Article:

Not That GoodCould Be BetterOKGoodGreat (2 votes, average: 5 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

10 Comments Add your own

• 1. irene  |  October 17th, 2007 at 1:50 am

Using Sendsync, can I know whether the email has been sent?

• 2. jfrankcarr  |  October 17th, 2007 at 8:02 am

Hi Irene

Yes. The SmtpClient object has an event called SendCompleted. To use it you would have to declare this object at the module level and add a handler. Here’s an example. First the code to initialize the SmtpClient and add the handler:

EmailServer = New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient(EmailServerName)
    AddHandler EmailServer.SendCompleted, AddressOf EmailSendCompleted

Now the routine that waits for the SendCompleted event.

Private Sub EmailSendCompleted(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs)
        If e.Error IsNot Nothing OrElse e.Cancelled Then
            'do error management
        End If
    End Sub
  • 3. jay  |  October 25th, 2007 at 11:19 pm

Thanks a lot It’s help a lot

• 4. jfrankcarr  |  October 26th, 2007 at 9:20 am

Thanks Jay. I’m always glad to help.

• 5. Yadira  |  February 12th, 2008 at 11:06 am

Hi !!

Can you explain me the “UserToken” in the SendAsync method?

Thanks !!

• 6. Susan  |  June 29th, 2008 at 1:13 am

> Can you explain me the “UserToken” in the SendAsync method?

Ugh. What do we put in for a value in “UserToken”????

Without that info… none of this works at all.

• 7. Mahendra  |  December 7th, 2008 at 3:11 am

I can send through vb code can some body help me in knowing whether the message is read or not

thanks

• 8. Joseph Bleckman  |  May 24th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I’m trying to send an email directly from a Visual Studio 2008 project running on Vista. This means I must use a third party SMTP application, as none comes with Vista. I am using one called Best SMTP Server. It is fully featured and I’m trying to use it to send mail via a gateway, in my case smtp.gmail.com.

I have enabled POP on my gmail account and am using the code in this article. But nothing happens. I’ve been getting help from the support people who make Best Server, I’ve opened a help case with Microsoft in using third party SMTP programs and I’m getting help from my IP provider.

With all that, I still cannot get a simple email sent from my program.

Any suggestions? I’m really losing hope here. Given that .Net is supposed to be webcentric, sending an email from a .Net project would seem to be a level 1 issue. Instead, it’s a nightmare.

I wish I could say I was surprised….

JB

• 9. Chris  |  July 21st, 2009 at 11:27 am

Hello,

I have a question. I am getting my from email address from the database but when the address is not in the correct email format the program stops sending. How can i determine if its in correct format and if it is not then jump to the next.? Thanks.

• 10. child309  |  September 13th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

@Chris
    You can use regular expression to check if the email is in the correct format. Cheers!