My name is J. Frank Carr. Simply put, I’m a programmer, probably like you are. I’ve been programming professionally for almost 20 years now and I’ve been working in one capacity or another with PC’s since 1985.
My first programming jobs involved coding in MASM, C, and QuickBasic and a few years later I moved on to Visual Basic 1.0. I’ve written production level programs in every version of VB Classic, 1 through 6, and VB.NET 2002/2003 and 2005 as well as in classic ASP and ASP.NET. I’ve also done some personal projects in C#, Java, and PHP. I was a Microsoft MVP in Visual Basic from 1994 through 2004 although I’m no longer a MS-MVP at this time.
If you’re into music and guitars like me you may want to check out my personal web site. You can listen to my guitar playing and discover why I’m a programmer and not a rock star.
About This Site
My goal with this site is to create a series of articles on coding with and developing applications with VB.NET as well as articles on general programming topics. I still feel like I’m in ‘learning mode’ with .NET’s vast scope so I’ll be giving my learning process thoughts and observations as well.
My primary topic types are:
- Tip Sheets - My tips on using VB.NET or on general coding practices.
- VB.NET Tutorials - ‘How To’ articles on various VB.NET features.
- Code Examples - My full or partial VB.NET source code examples.
- VB6 To VB.NET - My ideas on making the transition to VB.NET from VB6.
- VB.NET Interview Questions - My series on job interview questions.
- Development Teams - My thoughts on development teams and processes
- Project Management - My thoughts on project management
- Personal Development - My thoughts on self-improvement
- Link Round-Up - A weekly round-up of sites that deal with VB.NET, .NET or other MS technologies in general, or development teams.
The code examples are for Visual Studio 2005 / .NET Framework 2.0 unless otherwise stated.
Also, I have an archive of my older VB Classic website here as well. Some of the information there is a little dated now but may still be useful to you. The original site first went online in 1999 and I revised it up through 2003.
I am not currently updating this site with new information since my more recent development work has been in C# and PHP.
Comments are be moderated and it may be some time before they appear. Comments are deleted or marked as spam if they are off-topic, spam, offensive or otherwise inappropriate.
Google ad and content
Thanks for visiting my site and I hope you find the information here useful.